Sunday, June 7, 2009

Kayak Surfing

We had our annual May tournament in Orange Beach and Kristin and I decided to take our kayaks down with us. Friday night I had to do a midterm testing and we had tournament all day Saturday. The surf report was not good so we left the sit on top and took the whitewater kayak to practice rolling and the touring kayaks. In the mean time a line of thunderstorms moved in and the surf picked up. There was perfect break right in front of our hotel. We had watched an instructional DVD on rolling Saturday night and after my lesson in Moab I thought I might nail it, but no. It was pretty much a failure. We both have the hip snap and could T rescue but that's about it. I did worse than I did in Moab. So then we took the kayak to the surf and caught a few waves but without a roll it was pretty rough. I got over ended once and had to do a wet exit and drag the kayak back to shore so we just did some body surfing and then it was time to check out. It was sickening to watch that perfect surf and know that you had left the perfect boat at home.

No comments: