Saturday, May 9, 2009

Moab day 5

Today was supposed to be while water rafting but as is a woman's perogative we changed our minds. We had spent all our climbing time getting ready for Ancient Art and had not learned how to lead climb so we asked if we could do a full day of climbing instruction and squeeze in another kayaking trip. Of course Red River came through as they did all week. It was drizzly again that morning(I know what you are thinking, rain in the desert? Well that was what I was thinking too. That is why I didn't take a raincoat which of course destined us to be rained out so I bought 2 rain coats and as soon as I did the rain cleared up for good.)so Landon taught us princples of lead climbing at the shop that morning while it dried out and even took us to the store to buy the rest of the gear that we needed. The we ate lunch and went back to "ice cream parlor" to do some lead climbing. We lead 2 climbs apiece and bagged our first onsight(lead climbing on your first attempt without falling or hanging on the rope). Then we went back to the hotel and landon and I went down the river again. The first time we went down the river I got caught in an eddy and flipped and did a t rescue the second time I knew where the eddy was I just couldn't do anything about it and I get flipped and had to T rescue again. At least I made it through the rapids and didn't have to do a wet escape from the kayak and have to swim.

No comments: