Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tumbling Rock

Funny story. Joey and some guys were going to Ellison's so Aimee and Crissy decided to go to Tumbling Rock. Crissy invited a few of the guys from Nashville and Aimee invited me. Jason decided since I was going caving he would ride up with me then hook up with Joey but we couldn't work out the logistics so he ended up going with us. He didn't want to be the only guy so he invited Will and our friend Lucas Taylor who has been wanting to try caving. Saturday morning on the way to Ellison's Joey's group decided they didn't want to hike to Ellsion's in the cold so they turned around and came to Tumbling Rock and we ended up with 12 people.
So anyway, Lucas, Jason and I rode up Friday and met Will in Scotsboro and we camped at Goosepond colony. At 7 the next morning we awoke to the sound of repeated gunfire. Must be a range nearby. They should wait till 8 to open! When we got up it was 20 degrees and snowing. We had snow flurries all morning. Broke the tents down(yes Jason and I stayed in a tent) grabbed some breakfast and headed to the cave.
We lost Lacresha and Dave close to the entrance of the cave cause Lacresha was playing with her new camera. Aimee and John Law didn't have aspirations to climb to the top of Mount Olympus so they turned around before the end. The rest of us made it to the top of Mount Olympus. We spent a total of 6 hours in the cave. I still haven't made it to the back of the cave but I think it will take me a while to forget how hard the cave is before I come back and try again. I had forgotten about the sand crawl, the suicide crawl, the other crawl...
Another funny story: Lucas's mom was at the New Years Eve party we went to and she was worried that we would loose Lucas in the cave which of course we wouldn't...On the way back Lucas and Will were following Crissy and she took a wrong turn. Since were behind them we didn't know if the passage they took would eventually connect back to the main cave and we would find them ahead of us or if it was dead end and they were behind us or if it made a loop and they were walking in circles(you can't get too lost in Tumbling Rock) so we didn't know if we should hurry up, wait or go back for them. Finally we caught up to them close to the cave entrance. I was so glad to see Lucas and I hope no one tells his mom we lost him.

No comments: