Friday, November 27, 2009

Coosa River Challenge October 3 , 2009






Friday after work Jason, Kristin and I drove up to Wetumpka and met Chris Coleman(Jason's partner) at Coosa River Adventures for check in. There was a little mix up and even thought I registered by computer Kristin and I were put in the co-ed category. We got that straightened out and dropped off our boats and bikes and went out to eat. The next morning we had to be at the finish line for orientation at 7am then we went up river to the start. We had to find our bikes and establish our transition area and get warmed-up. There was a staggered start so Jason and Chris started about 20 min ahead of us and we were in the last group.
The first leg of the race was a 4 mile trail run. At around mile 2 there was an obstacle. First you had to play even-odds with the race official to determine which team member was going to complete the task. Jason and I were both chosen out of our teams. There were two ropes strung across and small ravine and you had to walk on one and hold onto the other and cross the ravine. Then after you finish the run you end up back at the transition area to start the 7 mile mountain bike leg.
A week before the race I got new clipless pedals(your shoes clip to the pedals) and we came up to Wetumpka to practice on the course and I fell over about 10 times and cried and wanted to forfeit the race. I went back to my regular pedals before the race and managed not to have a breakdown.
On the first half of the course a lot of people passed us and I was going really slow but by the second half I was able to go faster and we passed some people back. About half way through Kristin and I were so tired we wished we had never heard of the Coosa River Challenge. My quads were like jelly but we made it and actually passed some co-ed teams that had a 10 min head start on us. Again half way through we had to stop and do a little challenge. You had to carry your bike over a fence across and 2x4 laid over a mud hole and then under a fence. Then you end up back at the transition area. We got our kayak stuff and set off for a 1 mile run to the river. Once you get to the river you have to traverse a boulder field then take a navigation test with a compass then climb batman style up an 80 foot hand line to the top of the "slabs". At this point you draw out of a hat to see who rappels. Again Jason and I both completed the challenge. Chris and Kristin went back down the hill and swam out in the river and Jason and I went to the top of the hill and rappelled down then swam out to our team mate and on to the boat ramp to get our kayaks. At one point I was backstroking with my eyes closed and I hear Kristin shouting at me. I open my eyes to find I got turned around and am swimming back to the slabs. We looked real professional.
So finally the 7 mile Kayak portion. Kristin and I were in the orange barge which is exceptional in its slowness. Jason and Chris rented a boat but neglected to sit in it and get the seats adjusted so we were all pretty miserable paddling. At the first island you had to get out and portage(carry) your boat across the island. At the second island you had to do a little run and swim through barrels submerged in a mud hole(this was Kristin's favorite part). Then paddle,paddle, paddle. We were so bored we started singing just to keep going. I did a little yodeling and I think we even sang the Star Spangled Banner. Next was a 1 mile poker run and finally right before the finish you had to swim out to a lock(brick wall) in the middle on the river and jump off about 15 feet then swim back to your boat and cross the river to the finish line. Jason and Chris's finish time was 4:10:00 and they placed 9th out of 42 teams in their age group. Our finish time was 5:19:00 and we finished 6th out of 13 teams in our age group. Kristin and I won the award for best lock jump. We did a short Taekwondo routine and did flying side kicks off the wall.

1 comment:

xoxomomxoxo said...

OMG I souldn't be able to remember all the challenges and where to go next.